AA CULT EXPOSED

Thursday, March 02, 2006

SLOGANS

When you walk into an AA meeting, or any 12 step meeting, you will usually see a lot of simple, stupid slogans around the room. These are designed to stop your thoughts. They are designed to stop criticism of the program. Criticism is forbidden. Let's have a look at some of the slogans I have seen at meetings:

Utilize, don't analyze
So you're not to analyze the program. Normal humans test things out. We do it all the time in our relationships, in learning, in creating. We test and analyze, and if something doesn't work we modify and change, sometimes ourselves, sometimes, where possible our environment. It is the mature behaviour of an adult. Even a child does it! It is called growth. Of course if you analyze AA you will probably run like hell!

Let go, let God
Let go what? Your thoughts? Let God what? Take over your life so that you don't have to be responsible?

Stop your stinking thinking
Stop thinking, you stupid idiot!

This too shall pass
Again what? What will pass?

Live and let live
This is often used in the context of allowing another person to treat you like shit. You're suppose to put up with it. If someone hurts you its YOUR problem. Even in ACoA they say it's your problem if your parents knocked the crap out of you when you were an innocent little child.
I remember when my sponser hurt me. I shared the story at a meeting. At the end of the meeting a man came over to me and stood so close I could smell his stinking breath. He said rapidly, "You're the problem! You're the problem! You've got to believe that! You're the problem!" What an insensitive, cold and foolish man.

One day at a time
This may seem ok. But what they mean in AA is to live your life one day at a time. Make no plans for your future.

These sogans just keep you stupid and quiet. It is as if you cannot think for yourself. I find them patronizing in the extreme. No thanks! I think I'll use my mind for thinking and working out my problems. That's what it's for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home